Becoming a new parent comes with many important decisions to make. One of the tough ones to make is if you want to breastfeed or formula (or combo!) feed your baby. In this blog, we'll discuss some of the benefits to breastfeeding parents and babies.
Your breastmilk is always changing to meet your baby’s needs through all stages of life and development. At Feed Well Co want to help support and guide you through this decision and provide you with the knowledge and benefits breastfeeding can provide. Breastfeeding has immediate and long term benefits for the mother as well. The AAP suggests that a baby should be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months of life, even after starting solids it is recommended to continue to breastfeed until 2 years of age.
Breastfeeding Benefits for babies:
- Boost Brain Development from DHA / Immune system (natural antibodies)
- Lowers the risk for Allergies or eczema
- Breastfeeding can decrease your baby’s risk of SID/ SUIDs
- Lowers the risks for infections such as ear infections, bladder, life threatening
- Breastfeeding can help protect against later life diagnoses of diabetes, asthma, obesity, High blood pressure.
- Breast milk is easily digested, so babies often have less gas and constipation issues.
- Can provide optimal oral development because of jaw movements, and nutrients in the breast milk can lower the risks for tooth decay.
Benefits for the Mother:
- Lowers risks for Postpartum Depression
- Reduces risk of Breast cancer, Osteoporosis, Ovarian cancer, Diabetes
- Breastfeeding can help a mother recover faster
- Helps the mothers body produce oxytocin, which helps the uterus return to pre pregnancy size.